Saturday, September 13, 2014

Studio Journal Episode 9 - Meeting my Neighbors


As you know from my previous post, I didn’t get into my new apartment until really late.  So I waited until Day 2 to introduce myself.  I made some cookies (premade batter, but it’s the thought that counts, right?) and knocked on the seven doors on my floor.  Only three people were home.  One was on the phone, but was happy to take a cookie.  A second was eating dinner, but he appreciated the thought.  The third told me he was moving out the next weekend, but he loved the cookie.  Oh well – so much for meeting people.  A week later and I still haven’t met anyone else.  Maybe I need to try cookies again. Or go up to the second floor.

When the third neighbor moved out, I saw him about to throw away a whole assortment of blankets, pillows, and other bedding. Much of it looked really warm and in perfectly good condition.  So I asked him if I could take it down to the homeless shelter where I volunteer.  He was happy to let me take everything off his hands so this morning I brought it all over.  Since the weather is starting to turn away from summer, the timing is pretty good, although the shelter will take good winter blankets any time. 

No comments: