Saturday, September 27, 2014

Red wine instead of exercise

Of course, I have serious doubts that there is much basis in truth to this.  According to the headline, one glass of red wine is the equivalent of one hour of exercise.  I am not sure if 5 glasses of wine translates to five hours of exercise, so you will have to read the article details. But I also have doubts about the first one.

I am sure that the science was done in the usual way that science is done.  Science is a very focused, targeted, investigation of limited hypotheses with specific subdomains of application and with a certain level of uncertainty.  It is when the media (or even worse - bloggers!!!) get their hands on it, that we get the earth shattering headlines that suck us into the story.

But in this case, I am going to focus on my wonderful powers of self-delusion.  I love red wine and I have given up exercise for a little while. This seems to be the perfect solution to my dilemma.  I just have to believe it.  I just have to combine self-delusion, the placebo effect, confirmation bias, and identity resonance.  And abra cadabra.

No comments: