Wednesday, September 05, 2012

Resistance to change and business information systems

I was reading about a study on the challenges companies face when implementing new business information systems from employees who are resistant to the change.  One of the basic findings summarized in the abstract is this difference:
  • the tendency for operational employees to resist new business IS is due to the way they perceive it will impact their personal performance and status.  If it takes more time/effort, reduces job security, reduces their power, limits their empowerment, they will resist.
  • the tendency for managers to resist is more related to their perception of how it will impact the company's performance.  
 I am not sure I agree with this, but I will hold off judgment until I read the details of the survey.  I suspect that the managers are also concerned about their own performance and status.  It is just that their performance is measured using broader company metrics.  I don't think it is because they are more altruistic and care about the company more than they care about themselves, at least as compared to the operational workers.

More later when I read the rest.  But if you have any instinctive opinions on this I would appreciate your input. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello, as you mentioned here, can you give me the source of that study which you read before. Thank you !